Monday, January 7, 2013

Resilience

Katherine is the most amazing person that I know.

Last night at dinner we were talking about our goals for the next year.  We discussed our upcoming trip to Paris.  She told me she wants to make things to sell on the internet to raise money for animal shelters.  (Anyone have a clue how to set up Ecommerce for a ten year old?!)

And I offhandedly said, "Well, since last year wasn't our favorite, this year will be better."  And then, fearful of her response but needing to know anyway, I said, "Was the day we told you that we were getting divorced the worst day of your life?"

"Hmmmmm," she replied, "That was bad.  But the worst day was every day in the second grade in the afternoons when I had to sit at that table with those horrible boys who kept distracting me and making it so hard to get my work done!"

I was skeptical.  She's emotionally intuitive - perhaps she was protecting me.  "Are you sure?" I asked, giving her that "Mama knows!" look.  She laughed at me.  "Oh, Mom, you worry too much.  I'm fine.  Why do you always worry about me?  And those boys were SO ANNOYING!  That was much worse."  And then she changed the subject - back to how to help the animals.

When I think about all of the things that have happened to me in my life, good and bad, this incredible child is at the top of my list.  I have certainly tried to model resilience to her, but this, this is beyond my hopes.  My heart is bursting with pride, amazement, and such dreams for our future together.

I really believe that she's okay.  Her dad has only been moved out for six months, and she is thriving.  She is joyful.  The is hopeful.  She's firmly grounded in the present, and she's got plans for the future.

Ahhh, that makes my heart sing.

*****

On another note, interesting community-college-professor-dad and I are off the table.  We are on opposite kid schedules, and that isn't going to change.  Dating in my forties sure IS different than dating in my twenties!  What's more, I feel like I'm bored to death with online dating already, and I haven't even gotten started.  Ah well.  I like that it's low stakes for me, so no matter what happens on the dating front, all is well.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment