Saturday, December 29, 2012

Wrapping Up

I love this time of year.

Christmas is past, and there is a whole new set of memories to go with it.  My house has once again echoed with the laughter of friends in candlelight and music, and I can feel the presence of all that love even though the party is long over.  My daughter's gift - artwork - hangs in a place of honor, where I can see it daily.  The fridge is emptied of brie en croute and smoked salmon and prime rib leftovers, and we return to spinach salads and stirfries.

Today, the presents get tucked into their new homes - drawers and toy bins - and the tree comes down.  When the needles are swept up and the furniture returned to position, the house will feel bigger than before - the clutter of nutcrackers and snow globes and stockings will be gone, and open spots remain.

It was a fabulous Christmas, better than I could have hoped for.  Mostly, I politely ignored Bryan, and he made it easy on me by doing the same in return.  We were together for most of 24 hours, and he even stayed in the basement here in the guest room at Katherine's request.  It wasn't perfect, but it was better than I worried it would be.  Friends, family, quiet time.  A blissful week off with my daughter, to celebrate the holidays in style and to do fun activities like a museum exhibit and snowshoeing.

And now, I have a weekend to myself to contemplate life and dream of what is coming in the new year.

First, I'm cleaning up the house, getting it in top shape.  Then, I'm working out - I've been getting regular exercise, running, doing yoga, and doing as much as I can to feel strong and healthy.  Then, planning for a new year.

How much travel?  Can we become a ski-family?  What house projects?  Work goals?  Writing?

And how to navigate the surreal world of dating in one's 40s?  I've received dozens of messages on OkCupid, and none of them are making my heart pitter-patter....should my heart pitter-patter for pixels?  How much time do I want to dedicate to that?

Now is the time of year to consider it all.

I've come a long way.  If I make as much progress in 2013 as I did in 2012, pretty much anything is possible.  I am filled with hope and prayers that there will be no major challenges in 2012, and that maybe some of the pain of the previous years will be balanced by unbelievable joys in the coming years.

But as for 2012 - it's a wrap.  I can't wait to see what is next!

No comments:

Post a Comment